Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Thoughts on Parenthood

One of the worst things that I personally feel is the worst part of parenthood... disciple. To disciple one's child is heart-wrenching and soooo not fun but a necessity of life if you want your child to behave as well as to understand where the boundaries are. 

Today was one of those days where it seemed like your kid went crazy. As soon as I entered the house, my child was heard screaming and saying things like "No no no no no no no," from a mile away. L was having one of those days. As tough as it was to not do anything about it as the nanny was here, L was walking all over everyone in the house... except for mom and dad. One of the funny things about L is that even though loves us to bits, she is absolutely terrified to get in trouble. How terrified? The past few nights, she was sleeping with Grandma upstairs while we get to used to N waking up in the middle of the night and preventing him from waking everyone up. While upstairs, she would wake up in the middle of the night (2AM-ish) and start to demand things from GMa. What things? Things like make me duk-gook (rice cake soup) or watch Cailou or sing me a song. Some things (singing songs) were doable but the others weren't. If L didn't end up sleeping or not listening, GMa would say "Do you want me to call your parents?" After that, L would listen. Crazy... I know but hey, it works.

For me, to disciple her (even N in the future), is hard. Especially when she is crying non-stop and saying things like "Daddy, I love you so much," through the tears. I know I have to suck it up and bear it as only parents can truly disciple their kids. If we don't, who will? Now that L is older and VERY good in conversations, I try and explain to her that she has to listen to those that are older than her and she will not get in trouble otherwise. We'll see how things go in the next few days but I have a feeling that she'll behave.

As for N the whole time L was getting in trouble? He was busy sleeping and watching the Food Network HD with mommy. Tomorrow, N has his first doctor's appointment! I'll be sure to get J to take pictures (sort of...). No shots just yet, at two months so another month away.

OH!!! HAPPY 1 MONTH TODAY!!! In Chinese culture, it's called the Mun Yuet (or Full Moon Celebration) and after this point, the baby had an excellent chance of survival and coincides with the mother's confinement period. In Korean culture, we don't celebrate until 100 days (as you already know :]).

Have a good night and tomorrow is Wednesday and nothing special planned =)


Sequence of smiling pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment