Sunday, December 16, 2012

He shrunk!!

Normally, after babies are born they lose some weight. Why? Well let's ask Wikipedia... the always handy-dandy, quick and dirty answer-er. According to Wikipedia, the infant will lose about 3-7% of his body weight within 5-7 days after birth due to the "resorption and urination of fluids that initially fills the lungs."

Yesterday, Baby N was 3.85kg, today he weighed in at 3.63kg for a total reduction of ~6%. A little on the high end but he wasn't able to feed much last night. Baby N let us sleep!! Yes you read that right, let us sleep for about 4-5 hours. This is normal the first night apparently but I don't remember ever sleeping with L about 2 years ago. Then again, I was two years younger and probably more naive. J and I are trying to sleep whenever we can...however, like L, N LOVES to be held. As I type this, J is holding and cuddling him to sleep after a yummy session of food.

We are still in the hospital tonight as J continues to have some hard after labour pains. Think of this as early labour again. This happens to every woman that gives birth and what the body is doing is that J's uterus is contracting again to become normal sized (roughly the size of a grapefruit). It gets worse for every child you get and since we're on our second, J is having it rough. But the people that have 2, 3, 4 even 5 kids, apparently its WAYYYY worse. J wanted an epidural... after the fact, that's how bad it was.

This afternoon, we took some portrait shots of the kids (L and N) and I will post some pictures tomorrow as I don't have access to a CD drive for the pictures.

As of this time, I am currently watching The Avengers, and J is feeding N and eating some PB&J sandwiches (which I expertly made =D). We hope to be discharged tomorrow but until two years ago where I go to school, I will be heading to work first thing in the morning so we're hoping J will be able to come home and rest in our comfy queen sized bed, as opposed to the dinky (but very electronic) single sized beds here.

Baby N in the "Ahhhh, so we meet again" OR the "AHHHHH, please God, please don't let me be dropped" posed.

*Sucking on Daddy's shirt... Yum!* (I don't know why all kids do this, but I'm about 99% sure, J took a picture of this exact same pose with L).

Good night all, N is sleeping now and we're off to bed! 

1 comment:

  1. i wouldn't have dropped him :) i'm an expert baby holder. tell your dad i posted a comment. i'm also the best niece ever.

    ReplyDelete